View the Weather Statement (pdf): WEATHER STATEMENT – JONAS #1 (002)
TOWNSHIP OF NEPTUNE – Office of Emergency Management
STORM PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION
CURRENT NWS FORECAST:
- Winter Storm Watch in effect;
- Snow is forecasted to begin in the southern portion of the state during the evening commute and progressing up the coast impacting Monmouth County starting around midnight on Friday into Saturday.
- This will be a large snow event with 6-12 inches accumulating.
- Storm will start with snow, and may change to sleet and/or rain and then change back to snow.
- Snow will initially be light and puffy, but will change to heavy wet – The change will lessen the blowing and drifting.
- Wind gusts along the coast will be 50-60 MPH and 40 MPH inland- and will begin around 12 midnight Friday.
- Storm is slow moving and will end Sunday morning;
- While there will be moderate to major flooding in some areas, the Neptune Township area is forecasted to be at minor levels;
- Temperatures will be near or above normal after the storm passes.
- Main roads, hills and curves will be pre-treated with liquid brine by DPW.
- All snowplows and salt spreaders are prepared and ready to go.
- Storm drains continue to be cleared and all refuse will be removed by the end of the workday on Friday.
- Monitoring all lake levels and flood projections and will lower the lake levels if flooding in excess of street flooding is predicted.
- Emergency service departments; Police; Fire, EMS & OEM are prepared and ready to respond as needed.
- Monitoring of weather and storm forecasts will continue throughout the event, with public information provided to our residents via social media, website, and mobile apps.
- Emergency Operations Center has been readied for activation.
- Go to www.Ready.gov or www.NeptuneOEM.com on your computer for preparedness information.
- Have a good snow shovel and deicer at the ready.
- Check flashlights and batteries and have extra on hand. Be prepared for power outages.
- Shovel out fire hydrants located on your property to assist fire department response.
- Clear storm drains near your property to reduce potential street flooding.
- Check on the elderly or otherwise dependent neighbors.
To stay updated with the conditions in Neptune, the following options are available to the public:
- Download the free Neptune Township PD and OEM Mobile Apps, available for iPhone and Android. Search “Neptune Township” in the App/Google Play Stores.
- Follow the Neptune Township Office of Emergency Management on Twitter @NeptuneOEM.
- Follow the Neptune Township Police Department on Twitter @NeptunePolice.
- Like Neptune Township and Neptune Township OEM on Facebook.